About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, June 8, 2018

June 8: Another coupe(?) - Audi Q8

Who ever decided the the word "coupe" should also apply to a swoopy four door? Craziness, I tell you. And who ever decided that same word should apply to a sport ute, that had a fastback? More craziness. And this nuttiness began with that proverbial designer of strange looking cars, BMW.......


When I saw this X6 at the Detroit auto show years ago, it left me breathless and not in a good way. And time hasn't eased its visual pain. Coupe or whatever, it was as ugly and ill conceived as a Trump tweet.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Mercedes finally answered the call to compete with the X6 and their effort was much better, although not what The Donald would consider making a pass at, if it were a female (he's just so fussy)......


Ok, so you get the idea that these so called sport ute coupes are here to stay. Hey, even Lambo has one and it might be worthy of the name coupe, even if it does have four doors........


And speaking of this Lamborghini, the most recent addition to this small field and a direct competitor to BMW and Benz, is the new Q8 from Audi..........



Speaking of the Lambo and then going to the Q8? What's up with that? Maybe because they both ride on the same platform, as does the Porsche Cayenne and the Bentley Bentayga. Good company to keep, folks.

Audi's designs are conservatively classy and this newest arrival is a case in point. Taken on its own, it is gorgeous, but compared to the BMW and the Benz it is the goddess Venus incarnate. And maybe truly deserving of the misnomer "coupe" for a four door suv?

Getting ready for another glamour shot
No details yet on what will power this beauty, but probably a hybrid. But hey, who cares? I'd love to be seen in this new ride, even if it were powered by coal or pixie dust.

Audi has had years to see how the others misinterpreted their coupe suv's and they used the time wisely. Maybe the others will finally see the light.

Until next time (away until the 15th).........


No comments:

Post a Comment