About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

October 16: Time for a new Passat?

I've made mistakes before. No, seriously, I have. This is your Car Guy admitting that his all seeing all knowing car knowledge does trip up from time to time, although so infrequently, it's hardly worth mentioning, but hey, I'm an honest car salesman.

A couple of years ago I showed this picture of what I forecast would be the upcoming all new (an over worked phrase in the car business?) 2017 VW Passat........


Good looking and about time for a big change, since the "old" Passat had been kicking around the VW showrooms since way back in 2012, which seems like an eternity in my business. In fact, this slightly smaller (12 cms shorter) European Passat didn't arrive on our shores and we were left with the now really old 2012 model........


Not a bad car and to VW's credit they did add some features and stirred the performance buffs soul with a GT version. Lot of German car for cheap money (but let's not get into VW's quality issues).

So I've admitted my error. Really though, when they have an updated model across the Atlantic, why saddle us with day old bread, so to speak? Not the first time VW has done something similar. 

Now to the business at hand, the next brand new Passat.......



Bigger than our current model and much bigger than the European version, so what gives? To begin with this is the Passat that will be made for the Chinese market and for VW that is huge. They are the biggest foreign car maker in the Forbidden Kingdom, having sold almost 4.3 million vehicles there in 2017. Pretty impressive. No wonder they get their own version of the Passat. 

What about North America, now that we are really overdue for a completely new Passat? Will we get the German one or the Chinese model or maybe a shortened version? VW says we'll get our new Passat next year. My prediction is that this will be the Passat showing up on our shores, but ours will be shorter. Lots of foreign cars sold in China are lengthened versions of what is sold here and in Europe. Why? Those folks love their cars to be chauffeured and those back seats have to be commodious.......... 


And since this is a VW not a Mercedes, that's sparkling water in the armrest, not champagne. It's called know your clientele. 

Thinking of a new VW, but time is on your side? Then wait until next year to see if my prediction is right on and if this will be your new Passat.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment