About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Way We Were

 

 Just like a new Lexus ad? Well, maybe the colour is more era appropriate to 1959 when this ad dropped. And maybe the Lexus ad wouldn't show that almost baroque background. But my, how times have changed, since way back when.

A different way to sell cars? Maybe, maybe not. Sure these days the safety and performance features are featured more prominently, not just the feeling of owning a car, like these Cadillacs. Today's ads for a BMW or a Benz still tell you that there is a certain feel to their cars, but it isn't presented in the same fashion. Fashion might be the key word here.

 

Cadillac had a wonderful way to instill in its prospects, that a step up to a Caddy was definitely a step up and a big one at that. 

I have hardcover books showing ads from the '50's, '60's and '70's for a variety of cars. They are fun to thumb thru. Interesting nostalgia. I can't imagine similar books showing ads from the past twenty years. Well, actually I can, but what I can't imagine is my buying them.
 


 Today's blog focuses on Cadillac. Remember when they sold cars, not just aspirational suvs?



Yes folks, those were the days. Now don't get me wrong, they were not the good ol' days, but the old car ads had a definite charm, that is missing today. Ask a 25 year old if they miss that charm and they will toss you a quizzical look, before they turn and walk away shaking their head.
 

But just maybe I spoke too soon. What does a 2021 Cadillac ad look like? A rap star cruising the hood? A drug dealer doing a drive by? A nanny dropping the employer's kids off at private school?

Let's take a look......
 

Does this ad remind you of one from the past? Elegant lady, simply missing the baroque or bejewelled background. Oh well, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment