About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Nov 24: What a long way you've come, Suburban

Wow, a new Chevy Suburban! Those folks must be rich to be able to afford one of those. Man oh man, how things have changed over the years. Sure you can still get a "basic" (whatever that means these days) big Chevy truck in 2018, but you'll usually see them with police markings or all blacked out in a presidential motorcade. The other end of the Suburban spectrum will be seen around affluent neighbourhoods, as these big people movers are driven by soccer moms and run high up into the $80k price range.

It wasn't always like that..........


Nope, the Suburban, not that many decades ago (are you kidding me - that's ancient!) came only one way and that was basic with the only nod to luxury being an automatic tranny and those oh so passe' these days, whitewalls. Does it look a little smaller? You bet, as the new ones are over two feet longer and also bigger in every other dimension.

So being retro fans, the CMC (Car Modeling Cat) and I jumped at the chance to reminisce (well, maybe more me than her) and build a couple of versions of a 1966 Suburban, both with commercial applications.


The results........



















One as a Clearwater police dog unit, complete with rear tinted glass, so Fido won't cook during those torrid Florida summers (no A/C back then, folks). The other as a Kingman, Arizona hardware store delivery truck. Both quite typical applications with no whitewalls and probably both manuals. As we strive for accuracy, check out those decals slapped on the back door and windows. Something the driver might have put on his work truck back in the day.


How else might this truck have changed over the years (let me count the ways). Take a look at the interior and contrast the plain Jane (politically incorrect?) 1966 dash area..........


.......with the 2018's luxury car finish. Of course, I could do this with any fifty year old car, after all what would you expect? The key point here, is that the Suburban is no longer primarily a work vehicle.


So courtesy of me and the CMC, you've received another history lesson. Next time you see a soccer mom cruising her gigantic ride in your hood, show her and her Suburban the respect that they have earned over the years. And for Pete's sake don't get in her way!

Until next time.......



2 comments:

  1. That was great, Thank you. I am building the suburban (Revell) now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vaughn. Please send me pics when you are finished.

      Delete