About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

November 7: Speaking of two toned cars


There she is the darling little Car Modeling Cat (CMC), looking over research material for the model build, that rests in front of her furry little head. If you've seen our builds before you know that we strive for accuracy, so this one is no exception. A couple of weeks back, I blogged about the start of a trend towards two tone cars, or as they said back in the day, tutone cars. Coincidentally, the CMC and I happened to be working on a classic multi-toned car from where else but the 1950's.

Ah yes, those days, when paint schemes and bright colours were the norm. A silver or gray car would stand out back then, like a '50's paint scheme would now. And if it wasn't tutoned, well sir, it just wasn't worth driving and showing off to your neighbours.


But back to our 1959 Rambler model in a classic three colour paint job of baby blue, white and black.........


Rambler being a company that was trying to keep up with the big boys, also needed a four door hardtop wagon. Four door hardtops were all the rage in cars, but a few brands also tried them on station wagons, where they were much less popular. So the CMC and me, being creative souls made two models out of one.........


The left side is the mid-range Custom, while the right side is the up level whatever they called it. Apart from the brushed silver insert, you can see that this side doesn't have a centre post between the doors (how clever, Barry). And of course, there is that tutone, that this whole blog is really about anyway.

As I mentioned above, being one of the creations of mine and the CMC's, we strive for accuracy and detail. Of course, if you are a real Rambler fan and consider anything else in this world to be a little less important, then you might notice a blatant error in this '50's ride, otherwise you'll think how good we are. Any guesses?

I didn't think so. Time on your side (ok big brother, will you take this challenge?)? Then check into the internet for a few minutes, as it shouldn't take long to find the discrepancy. 

Anyway, two toned tutones. I'm positive that we'll never see those wild 1950's multi-toned paint schemes again, but we just might see many more simple two tones. Another stay tuned moment.

Until next time........




No comments:

Post a Comment