About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, March 22, 2019

March 22: Coupes, coupes, coupes

You started it all. You, the ugly duckling BMW X6, that was introduced to a perplexed market over ten years ago. Even at the Detroit auto show, a BMW spokesperson I chatted with didn't know what it was. Not a really useful suv and not a sports sedan. But universally lauded for being ugly as sin.

History, folks, nothing but history, as we all know now that BMW found a market niche that nobody else realized existed. Today I know it exists, I just don't know why.

Now there are a couple of BMW suv coupes. After several years of ignoring the sad X6, Mercedes decided it had to answer their chief competitor with a couple of sizes, the GLC and the GLE........


Not as abysmal as the X6, but better looking is a relative term here. Certainly, still not a great suv and definitely no sports sedan. Audi also joined the fray this past year with their Q8, but it's beautiful, with a more practical shape for cargo and passengers, which proves that it can be done.......


As an aside, I wonder why two other early adopters found failure with their suv coupes. Any guesses as to whom I'm referring? Sure, at least one of these was butt ugly and looked like the designers gave up, but that seems to be a criteria with those from BMW and Benz............

Honda Crosstour
 But is this Acura any worse (gee, maybe I'm being unfair), than some of its competitors?


Actually in hindsight, this old Acura looks pretty good, but it fell hard and was a rare sighting on the streets of my hometown. Dealers weren't thrilled with the single digit sales they achieved with either of these two.

Putting that aside, the newest arrival to fight it out in this strange category comes from another German luxo brand, as Porsche has just announced the 2020 Cayenne coupe..........

2020 Cayenne coupe
2019 Macan
Even Stevie Wonder can see that this new model is gorgeous. Just what Porsche needs to reignite the fire under this once very sought after suv.

A suv coupe? Maybe, but take a look at the current Macan and tell me that Porsche isn't already making this type of model under the Macan nameplate? Not much difference, but I guess as long as the customer thinks it's something unique, what does it matter? My prediction? The wait starts today.

Memo to BMW and Mercedes.......dust off your pencils and take a good look at this Cayenne suv coupe. You can do better and you know it!

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment