About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, March 29, 2019

March 29: A Chinese pick-me-up

Unless you've been lobotomized recently, you know that pick-up trucks are big business in North America, selling well over two million annually in the US alone. Our much smaller market in Canada knocks out around 450,000 annually, still a big number in terms of our total new vehicle sales. These trucks are almost a local phenom, as anywhere else you go in the world have a few, but nothing like these numbers. Seems like most pictures I see of these things "anywhere else", they are carrying rebel fighters, armed to the teeth. They even have a name for these (usually) Toyotas, technicals. Another story

Canada is the second biggest pick-up (trucks, this isn't Thailand) market in the world . Was the second biggest. Thoughts on who might have just overtaken us? Here's a hint for all you vexillologists among my readers.......


All the rest of you who said, China, before you saw the flag, give yourself a high five. Although these trucks make up only 2% of their local market, they have surpassed us and the momentum is there for continued growth.



Sure, they have the compact trucks, the size that one sees most other places, but they are showing signs that bigger pick-ups are also gaining favour. And of course, personalization follows.......



See, they are learning quickly.

As usual, there is the typical Chinese copying, as this Chev Silverado look alike demonstrates.......


........but they also have some unique ideas that might start a whole new trend.......


A party pick-up or just a useful couple of doors added for when that other couple wants to join you and the Jones for a night romping thru the fields?

Back to those upcoming bigger trucks and what they might look like........


I guess if one is going to copy, might as well take a shot at the Big Kahuna, the Ford F-150. But I've seen what China is capable of, so this will change, as they find their footing with the larger sizes.

While we wait patiently(?) for the first Chinese cars to hit our shores, might we also expect to see a few pick-ups being sent our way? Maybe in retaliation for our shipping them to China already........


Loyalty is key in this area, so big gains are probably a pipe dream. As I'm always saying, underestimate the Forbidden Kingdom at your peril.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment