About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, May 3, 2019

May 3: Happy Birthday, LR!

 Happy Birthday old fella. Born way back in 1948, a couple of months before your blogger. But, hey, what is age to a couple of old troopers, who think young (whatever that is) and don't live in the past? Yes, the Land Rover is that old. Conceived, as the ad says, "......for the farmer, the countryman and general industrial use." Nothing fancy, just a perfect utility vehicle for those who need an appliance-like machine with amazing capability. The original Land Rover was the perfect choice and maybe at the time, the only one.

I remember a friend's father had one for a short time and took me out for a quick open air ride. Rough stuff. I can still remember him grinning like an idiot, while I bounced around next to him. Don't know how long he kept it, but it wasn't too long before sanity prevailed.

Basic in the extreme........

The very first Land Rover
But what a reputation this little bulldog achieved for itself. Give it a task, no matter how tough and the Land Rover passed with the proverbial flying colours. Over time this small utility was modified for hundreds (thousands?) of uses........


Humble beginnings. Over the intervening years, of course there were changes, but the original shape became iconic, just like the Jeep's. Also, over the intervening years, people's tastes changed and the Land Rover evolved along with those changes........


Utility gave way to luxury, so what had started out as the most basic..........



.....grew into over the top luxury. An interesting story, but one I've covered before. 

Going back to the original concept, Land Rover dropped what had become the Defender, a couple of years ago, but promises were made about a new Land Rover, that would be closer to the old one in concept, but of course, built for the market demands of the 21st century. Spy photos popped up in the motoring press and even Land Rover has contributed to the speculation. Obviously the Land Rover's off road credo would have to remain in place.......


From a Happy Birthday, to what will the major redesign bring seventy one years after the first LR rolled off those British assembly lines? More upscale to be sure and thoroughly modern, as this very early rendition shows.......


While we wait for the official unveiling at this September's Frankfurt show, take a moment to reflect on Land Rover's past successful seventy one years and the little engine that could, that started it all and join me in wishing it a very Happy Birthday!


Until next time.......


No comments:

Post a Comment