About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, May 31, 2019

May 31: Who are these guys?


I seldom watch the Indy 500. I check out the F1 procession at Monaco in the morning and then head to the golf course (if I'm lucky). Nothing wrong with the Indy race, it just isn't my thing. Occasionally, I might catch a few laps out of curiosity, like I did last Sunday. I know that the racing is first class and death defying, as those cars dice back and forth at speeds way over 200 mph. Pretty good stuff.

As I was watching those few laps, an ad popped up for Mullen Technologies Inc's new Qiantu K50. It's a car, not an oven cleaner, as I first thought. But, what the hey? Where have I been and missed this, soon to be on sale, new car for the North American market? I mean, they are adverting on a major sporting event, which smacks of big bucks. What gives?

Maybe Summer dreams?



A little research and I saw that Mullen is a California based US tech company, that has serious plans to bring the new Qiantu K50 to market in the good ol' USA in 2020. Blue sky dreams? Maybe not, as this car is actually a Chinese model simply being lifted in whole from the Forbidden Kingdom. And it is electric. Mullen wants the K50 to be their first car and after getting established they'll move into the very profitable suv market. Ok, good for them.


I make a point of it being electric, as I don't believe in the history of the automobile, there has ever been a time when more new cars were being proposed. Everyone wants to get on the electrifying band wagon, although this one seems to be real, as it is currently on sale in China.

K50 cabrio
A few details.........this will be a powerful supercar for cheap coin. How cheap, the astute among you ask? The current figure being tossed about is somewhere in the $125-$150k USD range. Even with the higher number, this bulbous sportscar is cheap. I wonder if dreams like this come true? Mullen plans to sell 1000 initially with the launch version and then 2500 annually. Good friggin' luck, boys.

What intrigued me is that this recent start up was blowing big coin on the Indy 500 ads and most of us have never heard of this Chinese car or its American importer. And they are taking deposits!

I love a good story and that's what I think we have here. Just a good story and a few cars sold. Another EV start up that will be history in the not too distant future. Any bets?

Let's check back in 2022.

Until next time.........

No comments:

Post a Comment