About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

June 4: A bit of history


Way back, in what might seem like the Dark Ages to many of you, the cars were different. Surprising, eh? There were dinosaurs at one time as well, now there are birds. Forget about what cars looked like years ago, what was very different was model differentiation. You had a top line model, your neighbours knew it. You couldn't afford much? Well, your neighbours knew that as well. These days, you drive a Honda Accord, and there is very little to indicate whether you are a roller or a just above the poverty line. Same holds true for any other car or suv.

Case in point, folks, are these two models the CMC (Car Modeling Cat) and I have built, both 1957 Fords. Think you can tell which one costs more? With these two, even Stevie Wonder could tell the high roller from the peasant. I don't miss the old days, but I miss the very distinctive differences between the models. My Maxima is several thousand dollars more than the bottom of the line model and the only outside change is the small chrome SV or Platinum name on the trunk lid. I deserve better!

In the case of these two Fords, even the length was different, as was the size of their fins. Remember those?


And when you pulled up in a Fairlane 500, like this black and pink dreamboat, people immediately understood that you knew how to roll. My uncle had a Custom 300, like the boring green one above. It pretty much screamed insurance agent, which in fact he was.

As always the dear little CMC and I worked our tails off (in her case literally), to replicate the higher end Ford. A painful two toned build, that took us over four months to finish. Loved the result, hated the process.......


 As always, we like to think that our model is hard to differentiate from the real thing........


.....although the hand in this photo, does seem to give it away........


 Should we start a petition? Write to the car companies? Anything else? Once again, I think it is time to let the world know how we have spent our hard earned coin, when we pull up in our ride.

With me or against me?

Until next time........

No comments:

Post a Comment