About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

November 5: Alphabet soup

Try to bend your mind around this.........

GM sells Buicks, many of which are Opels. GM sells Opel to the PSA Group (Peugeot, Citroen, DS autos), but has an agreement to keep the Buick/Opel connection alive. PSA merges with FCA (Fiat Chrysler), which means that Chrysler will now be supplying cars to their cross town rival GM. Whew! Got it? Welcome to the mixed bag of alliances in today's car business and to the alphabet soup, that is the recent merger of PSA and FCA. First person to me with an appropriate acronym wins my admiration. A worthy prize?

What does this merger mean to us folks on this side of the Atlantic? Good question and if this had happened a year ago, I'd probably have said it didn't mean a thing. But times change and if you have been reading my blogs, you'll know that Peugeot has been sniffing around our car market recently with the intention of coming stateside by 2025.  Now with the FCA connection, might we see this game plan brought forward?

Both companies have an extensive product range in Europe, but I think Fiat Chrysler has shown us all their cards in terms of what they plan to select from their line up for North America. And that answer is not much, just a few mechanic's dreams Alfa's. What about PSA? Glad you asked, as this gives me an opportunity to select a handful of what I think would be winners over here.

First up.........


This is the gorgeous Peugeot 508, a car that has been floating around Atlanta near the newly opened Peugeot North America head office. Sure I love sedans, but being a realistic car guy, I know that for any company to base a solid business plan on sedans these days is like expecting Donald Trump to tell the truth. It ain't going to happen! So let's move along........


An suv, now we're talking. I can hear those hearts beating faster from here. With great styling, this compact Peugeot 2008 is a smaller suv, which also has an e version in the line. A good addition to any new showroom catering to an suv loving populace, which would love to be green, if the price and range permitted.

Moving along to DS............wait a minute, what exactly is DS? A few short years ago, the PSA Group thought Europe needed yet another car brand, why I don't understand. But they moved ahead with it and named it after the original Citroen DS from way back in 1955.......


A bit of French history to excite those nationalistic types. They moved some cars from the Citroen line up and then added new. Among their current offerings are a couple of, wait for it , suv opportunities for us........

 

If the white DS3 looks familiar, it should since it has been derived from an older Citroen hot hatch, but with two doors added and the usual other suv accoutrements, like a lift and the macho wheel well surrounds. Instant best seller for few extra coins of development. The blazing copper DS7 Crossback (whatever that is) has the upmarket appeal for a more mature audience. Picture one on your street. Fits right in, eh?

And lastly Citroen..........


I've loved the look of the Cactus since I first saw one a few years back. The latest version has dropped that funky soft rubber side panel and replaced it with a larger rocker panel made of the same stuff. Great looking compact suv that should sell well here.

Now being French, PSA also has some outliers that are peculiar. One in particular might find a few welcoming driveways over here and to top it off, it's electric. Get one for each Green Party MP.


The latest edition of the Mehari, that strange and oh so French trucklette, now christened the E-Mehari. Kind of Jeep like and all suv. No one over 30 need apply.

Being European, PSA has literally tons of compact and smaller sedans/hatches, which have about as much chance of selling here, as finding an Albertan to take a bullet for Trudeau. But I digress.

As we sit back and have our morning coffee, we can day dream about what our future vehicle selections will be after PSA lands here. A plethora of choices. I suggest you keep this blog handy and check back in a few years to see how my scorecard looks.

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment