About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Thursday, May 20, 2021

It's About Time!

Some things about the auto business make me wonder. Some? Sure start off my blog with an understatement. 

You all recognize this gem of a car.........

Absolutely, it's the 1964 Mustang, that came out (obviously) fifty-seven (!!!) years ago. It seems like only fifty. Anyway, my point is that this automotive idea was copied so successfully by everyone else, that all these many years later, the Mustang and two of its competitors are still racking up sales in 2021.

So this brings me to the adorable compact suv, that is so very popular today, the Subaru Crosstrek........


The recipe.......take one compact hatchback, in this case the Subaru Impreza.......... 



.........add all-wheel drive, add fender flares, add a couple of inches in height, finally a catchy name, Crosstrek, and watch all those folks beat a path to your showroom door to see this ALL NEW model from Japan. In reality it's just a messaged Impreza. Not a bad thing.

This Sub has been on the market for a few years and is consistently a great seller, so where is the competition? Ok, VW tried to compete with the Alltrack version of their Golf wagon.......


This lasted, maybe two years before VW decided those those few people who actually wanted an Alltrack, could go down the street to the Subaru dealer and buy a Crosstrek. Take the easy way out.

The question is why didn't it sell? Very good question and I have no idea. I expected this trend of tarting up a compact hatch to be the next big thing. maybe that's why I'm not an auto exec. Or maybe it's why I should be one!

So, now look what's happening. Finally after several years, other auto companies are getting off their buts and doing their own Crosstreks, ignoring VW's lack of success. 

Here is Ford's candidate for compact suv sales greatness in Europe, the Focus Active......


Will we get it over here? Maybe, maybe not, but give me one good reason why it shouldn't be at your local Ford dealer. It's an suv type, which in itself is usually sales gold. 

Look at what Kia and Hyundai are doing in this sales area and try to figure out why the Toyota Yaris Cross (top pic) isn't already at your local Toyota dealership.....


Too small? Ok, I get it, so how about the new 2022 Corolla Cross (bottom pic)? So far only for other continents, but there are rumours. There are always rumours. This is a no brainer.......take the world's best selling vehicle, the Corolla, make it interesting by jacking up the body, along with the price and reap the rewards. That's rewards spelt with a $ sign, Friendo.

So going back to my original question, what's taken so long to fill the field with Crosstrek competitors in this hot and sensibly sized/priced market segment? Who knows, but I can only assume they haven't read my earlier blogs, where I've given them an idea and a poke.

What do you think?

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment