About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Feb 7: BMW - Humble New Beginnings


Do you think that cars ever wonder who their grandparents were? What they looked like? How they drove? Well, if they do, then the current BMW line has a lot to be thankful for and for how far they have progressed, since dear old grand papa was driving around the German countryside.

Back in the '50's BMW was still trying to survive the devastation of the war years, with a not too stellar line up of cars. One of the products that helped(?) to re-establish the brand was this micro number, the BMW Isetta........


Yes, you do have to love it, although giving it flowers and taking it on a picnic may be carrying "auto" love a bit too far. A few details......13 HP, 1 cylinder and 53 mph (84 kph) top speed (but not into a head wind). Always the innovator, BMW's little Isetta was no exception in its own way. How about this very trick(y) way to get in........



Imagine picking up your date in your dear little Isetta coupe. Awfully close for a first date, but once at the restaurant, you could take it inside with you. Take careful note of where the steering wheel is positioned and no getting confused over the complicated dash.

There were many uses for these little wonders(?), like this threatening police cruiser......


How would you even see it behind you? Maybe you had some road trips in mind, when you bought your new family car......


Obviously the rest of your family would have to follow in a bigger vehicle with a bigger trailer, but, hey, the freedom of the open road!

One more pic to show that size isn't always so important......

If I were a new BMW model looking back at my grandparents, I'd sure be glad that I was not born way back then. Give me today's power, room and handling. Sure this little number had four wheels and tires, but those two at the back wouldn't add much to the Isetta's stability. Wonder if they ever considered an M version. For that one, there could be 16 HP!

Thank goodness, I was built today!

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment