About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, June 13, 2014

June 13: Strange wheels?


Hey, buddy, got a light?


Of course, you do, if you are driving one of the two Zippo mobiles from many years past. I guess they are the Trivial Pursuit answer to what is the biggest lighter in the world. Originally done in the late '40's to publicize (ok, get ready for a skill testing question) Zippo lighters, the top one has been restored to its well lit glory. What do you say, if a cop pulls you over and asks, "Where is the fire?"? The puns are endless.

Seeing this got me thinking about what other unusual (ie: strange) promotional vehicles are out there bringing smiles to millions of faces? What might be the most famous of them all?


Correct, if you said the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile. This well known promo vehicle first hit the road in 1936 (above with Little Oscar) and has been continually updated since then. Dropping in on special events or just touring promoting the Oscar Meyer brand, this vehicle sure makes an impression. I still remember the one I saw in Toronto a few years back. Ask an Oscar Meyer employee what they do........"I drive a hot dog."

I never knew that Meyer also did cocktail sausages, but it must be so, since here are two vehicles from their current fleet.........


They have six of the full size mobile weiners and two of these Mini based ones. Which one would you rather be seen in? Yes, I agree, the little guy doesn't stand out in a crowd (yeah, right!).

Any other ones come to mind? I think you'll get a kick (I warned you about the puns) out of this next one........


This is the LL Bean boot truck......"Lace 'er up, boys, we're hittin' the road."

Or what about a Cadbury creme egg (I thought you'd never ask).........


Or the Goldfish Cracker car, truck or whatever (note the cool sunglasses)........


My favorite is a rather unusual way to promote a flea market, but it's a tasty looking looking vehicle regardless.........


The Burgermobile........and is that three(!!!) all beef patties between those enormous buns? And how come only cheese on the front one?

Interesting collection of interesting promotional vehicles, but my all time favorite doesn't promote a product, it promotes goodwill, but it still cracks me up when I think of what it is and its name. Here is Blinky the talking Toronto police car.......


Is there a great sense of humour here, when a police department uses a talking pig to help their brand? Strange wheels indeed.

Until next time.........



No comments:

Post a Comment