About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

July 14: Changes?

I present to you the newest edition of one of my most favorite cars, the completely new for 2016 Audi A4.........


Oops! I meant to show you the 2016, not the 2015. Let's try that once more......the all new for 2016 Audi A4......


Now, that's much better, but I think that you can see my point. Ok, so what is my point? My point is why make something completely new from top to bottom and have it look almost exactly the same? Sure, Audi isn't the only one who is doing this, but it doesn't excuse them. Wouldn't it be nice to stroll into a showroom and see a different 2016, instead of wondering why the place looked like it was filled with last year's models?

Let's look at some other changes over the years..........

 

The lilac two door is a 1960 Ford, while the black one is a '61. See the difference?

Or how about these two........

 

I ask you once again, see the difference between the bronze 1965 Buick Riviera and the silvery '66?

And, in case you think that my argument is based entirely on a comparison of cars from another era, let's look at the newest Camry, Toyota's and everyone else's definition of conservative. Compare the silver 2014 to the red '15. While still retaining the "Camry look", it has still been made to let your neighbour know that you have stepped up to the latest model .......

 

Now compare this to the Audi......

You: "I just bought a new A4."

Neighbour: "Are you sure?"

I know that the entry level luxury market is a vitally important segment for the car companies, but compare the new A4 to what Mercedes has done with their new for 2015 C series.........

 

Not one single line has been carried over from the red 2014 to the silver 2015, except for that trademark front end and it's a given that it be retained, as all the companies strive for that corporate identification. You still know that's it's a Benz, but you also know that it is new.

It's not that Audi doesn't know how to make a changes, as they've done radical before......

 

..........as this comparison of the 5000 series changes in the mid '80's. Recognize the bottom picture styling? You should as Audi has retained this look since then, but evolved it into the beautiful lines of their cars today. But hey, Mercedes shows us that the lines can be retained and evolved without the car looking like the stylists left early for the weekend.

So while we wait for the 2016 A4 to hit the showrooms, I for one am looking ahead to the 2023 model and hope that it will move a little further away from the A4's 2009 redesign.

Until next time.......



No comments:

Post a Comment