About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Dec 6: Iconic Derelicts?















Did you miss the boat when any of these bruisers above were new in dealers' showrooms? Do you lust after a good used Toyota FJ or a Ford Bronco or even a big ol' Dodge Power Wagon? I feel your pain, not that I would ever want one of these vehicles, but I know all about car lust. Well, just like my blog last Friday about a creative Russian, there is a company in Los Angeles, that had an interesting idea several years ago and decided to run with it. The trucks above are visual restorations, but with absolutely up to date chassis, drivetrains and interiors. Geared towards someone with fond memories of what they once had, or wished they once had, and who now has the money to scratch that vehicular itch. I knew you'd ask  -  $250,000 USD or there abouts.

Blame Jonathan Ward for these perfect replicas and before you try to out think him with some other idea, look at this.......


Just a bunch of derelict old cars, rotting away until Mother Nature reclaims what was originally taken from her. The end of the road for these once proud cars? Think again and think again of Jonathan Ward. He had the idea of resurrecting some of these heaps, but unlike those restoration shops bringing the perfect old car back to original perfection, he had this idea......


Leave the exterior more or less as he found it, so less concern about where one parks, but update the interior, the chassis and drivetrain, much like the trucks.


Now this wouldn't work for me, as I'm not into sleeper vehicles. If had a great old car, I'd want it to look like a great old car. But others feel differently and Jonathan Ward has tapped into their wants and desires (even if they didn't know they wanted it to begin with). His Derelict line takes an old ride, like this late 40's Buick, and drops a modern chassis underneath. Great handling and with something like a Corvette motor, amazing performance, from what looks like a car on its way to its final reward.

This baby won't have a place at your local concours, but watch their collective jaws drop as you power away from those trailer queens. They can only wish they were as capable as this early '50's Buick Roadmaster......



 Even if you are more of a family man, Derelict has a car for you.....


 Actually any old car you desire can be given the Derelict treatment, just bring money. Even with price tags reaching $350,000 USD, there is a line up of clients waiting for their ride, expected to be ready in about three years.

Park anywhere, enjoy the thrill of people looking down their noses at you, temporarily at least, until you thunder away, heading into the next corner with aplomb. Gosh, it's great what unlimited financial resources will buy.

Whether an Icon or a Derelict, this whole idea is beyond me, but that is why we are all different and have found different ways to spend our money. So, the next time you wish you had a perfect old 4x4 or a ratty old ride, think of Jonathan Ward. But maybe those other vehicles aren't for you, so just ask, he might have something else in mind, that will help you write that big cheque......


Until next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment