About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, February 3, 2017

Feb 3: Rick Dore's beautiful cars

Up until a week ago this logo meant absolutely nothing to me. Me, the car guy extraordinaire (at least in my own mind), had no idea who or what company was behind this stylized "RD". I like to pride myself on knowing a few of the top players in most automotive fields, but this one slipped by me. In my younger years, there might have been some wrist slashing, but these days, it is simply live and learn.

When I was doing my blog on the famous old Oakland Roadster Show, I came across some stunning designs and I came across the name of Rick Dore. A little research (what the heck did we do before the net?) turned up a wealth of great looking cars, that customizer Rick Dore has been turning out for many years. Many of which were like the work of those long gone European coach builders. Cars like, the famous Aquarius.........


.......which was built for a famous rocker. In 2014 this won many of the awards, that customizers work extra hard to win. I'd call this a tribute to the old Franay coach built cars of the late '40's. Don't agree? Look if up.

Or this exquisite brown beauty, Slow Burn........


And get a load of that paint, over a mile deep and descending. Makes me just want to caress this car's bodywork (enough already, this is a family friendly blog).

That afore mentioned rocker has commissioned more than one work of art from Rick Dore like this one, named appropriately the Black Pearl, which won the coveted Custom of the Year award..........



Isn't it great to have money? And for the traditionalist and for also the same rocker, Voodoo Priest.......


Interesting how many rockers love their cars and, of course, they have the coin to make their car fantasies come true, along with the help of a super creative designer like Rick Dore.

Then there are Rick Dore's typical custom jobs, beautifully done, but enhancing the original's lines as opposed to creating something almost from scratch........

1953 Buick Skylark Skyscraper
All with paint to die for, assuming that one wants to die for paint.......




.......and all with those catchy, sometimes clever names.......

1956 Lincoln Mark II Remarkable
1957 Buick Lavender Persuasion
All these cars and over the past twenty plus years, I'd never heard of Rick Dore. Gee, that's enough to almost make me doubt myself as a true car guy (almost, but not quite). Maybe I should watch a bit more TV, as this Discovery channel show, focusing on Dore and his work, hit the air waves in 2014......


Ok, so now I'm educated about this artist in metal. Now, I'll check out his stuff from time to time to see what new creations he is creating. Now, I know lots about Rick Dore, no wonder he looks so pleased.....


Until next time......




No comments:

Post a Comment