About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, May 5, 2017

May 5: Trumpchi - really?

The word is out that the first "real" Chinese car to hit the North American market will be here in 2019. By "real" I don't mean those Chinese pretenders like Volvo or the Buick Envision, I mean those Chinese cars that are really Chinese. Follow that? Of course, you do. The initial foray into our market will be by GAC. You might remember an earlier blog, where I mentioned that they were at the North American Auto Show in Detroit this past January.

One of their vehicles was this compact suv like vehicle, the Enspirit.......


Ok, now that we are all on the same page, let's take a look at the name under which GAC will market their cars. This late arrival to the car business, started producing cars in 2010 under the catchy name Trumpchi. Hey, would I kid you? Sure, but not about something like this. Think the great blowhard will like to see these new arrivals marketed under his similar name? Would he see the humour in it? I think we all know the answer to that one. Keep in mind that back in 2010 a Trump presidency was as likely as an extremely successful Tesla electric car. Funny how quickly things change.

Trumpchi or not, GAC has some interesting vehicles ready to compete on our shores, like this white GA6.......


......or the upscale GA8........



Long gone (well, not that long gone) are those odd designs. And, what a pleasant change not to have a copycat design, that the Chinese do so controversially well. These two look like real contenders, assuming their quality is up to par. No doubt in my mind that it will soon be, if not immediately.

Of course, this is North America and those sedans might take up showroom floor space, but the real movers will be the suvs, like this GS4......


......or the larger GS8.......




One great looking mountain climber in anyone's books. And yes, I'm fully aware that the closest these will come to severe off road adventures is in these pics.

You'll notice their method to the naming, "A" means a sedan, while "S" means an suv. Like Benz with the GL meaning an suv, while the letter following denotes its size. Easy once you figure it out. Not sure what the Enspirit name is doing in this bunch, but hey, it's a concept vehicle, like this E-Jet hybrid sedan......


Looks like GAC has loaded their pipeline with solid performers, at least from a design stand point. Now, about that unfortunate name?

Trumpchi. Do they stand pat or be ready to be the butt of every stand up comedian and late night talk show host? No publicity is bad publicity? Maybe, maybe not. I'd change it, if it were up to me or maybe there is another solution. Just maybe they should market each car like this.........


The Donald, with his well known respect of the fairer sex, would appreciate GAC's marketing and would encourage all his misguided followers to buy a Trumpchi. Brilliant, when you think about it.

So keep the name, suffer the jokes and enjoy all those sales. Can't wait for 2019.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment