About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

January 22: Outstanding or simply standing out?


What's going on here? Is this 1959 Dodge trying to scare young children or did the designer simply have a (very) bad day? My point here is that back many years ago all the cars, trucks or whatever had very distinctive front ends, so people knew they were about to get run over by a Dodge or a Chev or a Ford. Obviously there was no shortage of design ideas to make a vehicle stand out.

Flash forward to 2019 and check out a few of the distinctive(?) front ends currently on our roads.........



 See a certain similarity? Of course, there are nuances in the shape, in some cases, but overall they all have that in your face, stand up front end. Let me brag a bit, I have no problem identifying each of these vehicles, but let's face it, this is my business, I love cars and I'm anal. 'Nuff said.

Are all these designers suffering from the Bentley syndrome? Where is their creativity? Are there so few ideas floating around that everyone has to crib from the guy next door? I wonder.

There are a few outliers, who have gone their own way, some by tradition, others by design (or lack of it). The traditionalists.......




No question who is behind these standout front ends and have been for years and years. Identity identifiers, that these brands have ingrained in our minds since forever.

Is it so tough to come up with a corporate front end like these brands, that they will stay with until, like these three, they become the actual corporate face?

Or will they be like Lincoln above (no points for picking the right one) and keep changing to something new and loosing their identity in the process?

Sure there are a couple these days that are following their own path, whether you like them or not. The scary Toyota look, bad enough to make Stevie Wonder wince........


.....and newcomer Tesla's plain Jane, but standout face.......


Rant, rant, rant and where does it get me?  Nowhere but wondering if creatively in new vehicle design is a thing of the past except for the odd case. Is every company so afraid of standing out? Instead, they strive to be outstanding in their field, but look like everyone else.

On the other hand, maybe we should be grateful.......


Until next time........

No comments:

Post a Comment