About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

April 2: A French eccentricity

Think about it.......you have a thumping Maserati V8 pumping out a fairly healthy 420 HP. If it were up to you, where would you put this lovely Italian power plant? If you were a former French racer, you might think its natural place would be in your new sportscar, which weighs a paltry 950 kgs. That racer is Tony Gillet, who has been racing and selling his creation since the early 2000's. Never heard of his Gillet Vertigo? Neither had I until I came across it in magazine I picked up on my overseas travels. Amazing to see what is hidden away from our North American eyes.

Now to unveil Tony's Vertigo........


At Pikes Peak, Colorado
You are saying to yourself, how unknown is this car, since it has raced over here? If you know the Pikes Peak run, you'll know that it has all sorts of weird (and wonderful?) vehicles racing to the clouds, so who'd notice this French concoction? Obviously not many.

At Belgium's Spa 24 hour race
Unusual looking, but partially hidden in its racing guise, the Gillet Vertigo can also be had in a street version, that certainly stands out........


 Unusual? One might say that. Ugly as sin? One might also say that. Fast like a scalded cat? Absolutely. But, gee folks, what a way to get noticed and obviously you need to pack light.

When I saw the Vertigo, I started to experience a bit of it myself. But something else also. I thought that I had seen something rather similar to this French bonbon on our shores over fifty years ago. Know where I'm going with this? There was once a car called the Cheetah, developed by American performance race car builder, Bill Thomas (what a coincidence), to take on the all conquering Shelby Cobras. A short lived car, but famous for what it accomplished.

Compare the two cars.........

Cheetah 1963 to 1966

Gillet Vertigo
Some similarities and both Miss Congeniality winners, since they'll be left behind when the real beauties take the stage.

Too many common exotics in your 'hood? Feel the urge to standout from those Lambo's, Ferrari's and such that your neighbours drive? I wish I could feel your pain. Anyway, maybe the Gillet Vertigo is meant for you? Certainly its price definitely puts it in rarefied air. If you have to ask.......$300,000 USD!

My opinion? If you really want that Maserati motor, then buy a Maserati.

 Until next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment