About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

August 20: A new convertible? Apart from the top, what am I missing?

What is a nice compact suv like this doing in today's blog about convertibles? As an aside, this neat looking trucklette is one that we aren't supposed to ever get on these shores. Time will tell, of course, but the way we are soaking up suvs, like a sponge does water, I wouldn't count on the big "No!", currently coming from this company's head office as the final say. Oh, in case you were wondering, this is the new VW T-Roq. I'd buy one for the name alone. Which brings me to the point of today's ramblings.

Ever look at an suv and picture it topless, the wind blowing thru your hair as you carefreely carve your way along a beautiful coastal highway? No, I didn't think so, but a few people do, so VW last week announced that they were doing the cabrio bit with their lovely new T-Roq. Behold this wonderous machine.......


Neat looking in a topless brick kind of way, but not nearly as cool as the suv from which it has sprung. Who wants a topless suv in the first place? Yeah, I know, there is supposedly a market for everything. Remember the Murano drop top? You don't do you? Let me refresh your memory banks.......


This hideous creation sold in double digit numbers to our neighbours to the south. Occasionally I'll see one around Toronto. It should have a big question mark on it. Saner heads at Nissan Canada didn't see a market for this sporty(?) suv up here and wisely took a bathroom break, when the commitment sheet was being passed around.

But great ideas never die. Right? If it failed for Nissan, why not give it a try with our suv? This must have been the talk at Land Rover, when they decided to chop off the upper part of their Evoque.......


.......and yes, what says, fun in the sun more than an suv riding topless thru an overcast, snowy landscape? I dream of moments like this. I've come to the conclusion, that there is too much money spread around folks with questionable taste. If this wasn't the case, then why would I be seeing a few of these Evoque cabs cruising around my city? And to top it off, a satellite radio is a $460 option on this $70k Land Rover. Oh my, I'm getting a headache.

Where is this all going? What suv will be the next one to head out into the sun minus that cozy roof? Can we expect something like this.........


So far Hyundai is only using this Sante Fe for promotional purposes, but I still have nightmares about seeing one at the local dealer. Maybe the Pope will want one in white.

The good news? I read the local paper every morning trying find some. Tough job. Then I come to work, which I love 'cause I'm all about cars, then I see what VW has wrought and I get the shivers and not from the A/C. Oh well, I should thank VW, since without this new unveiling, I'd wouldn't know what to write about today.

Until next time, which will be September 4th, as I'm off on a road trip holiday to the beautiful Gaspe'. Great place for a topless suv.


No comments:

Post a Comment