About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Sept 4: Haulin' ass!

 Suv be dammed, get behind the wheel of a smokin' hot station wagon and let your inner demon loose. 

Oh, how I wish this was life in the 21st century, but as you all know, the once ubiquitous station wagon, has been replaced by the way too ubiquitous suv, unless you have coin to spare, since that is the only refuge of the station wagon these days. Proof? Check out the only wagons sitting in your local showrooms. Google Volvo, Mercedes and Audi. Even BMW is missing in action, or from lack of it.

Even these brands don't move a ton of wagons, but what intrigues me is some of the engine choices a couple of these wagon purveyors offer. And before you get all excited and tell me that there are lots of wagons or sport backs or whatever in Europe, we are talking about suv friendly North America and specifically Canada.

Mercedes has offered the E Class in a gorgeous wagon and for the nut cases among us, they also offer an AMG version, the E63..........

 

Wagons make up a minuscule % of the market, but Benz sees fit to throw down the gauntlet and make this 600+ hp version available to us John Force or Lewis Hamilton wantabes. The problem? No problem, if you have the money to spent north of $125k on your dream mobile. Once I win the lottery, for which I don't buy tickets, my local Benz dealer will be my first stop. Hyacinth Red with a nut brown interior, please. Special order, of course. Now you know why I love Mercedes.

This love affair might soon be tested, as Audi has finally decided to send us their wild child, fire breathing  RS6 Avant.......

 

Sure, it's no Benz and will only have 591 hp, but who's to notice? Great looking and more than enough power to smoke your way, the whole way, to your golf club. And I'm guessing that you might have the only one there. There is only one E63 wagon at our club, so no need to have two of those.

So is there hope, however faint, for the wagon lovers among us? Maybe some other brave company will throw us a bone? Don't count on it. Dodge tried with the Magnum in the top pic and regardless of the power plant, this custom looking wagon couldn't get traction even with all-wheel drive. Credit them for also giving us the big power SRT version (shown), but it was a very rare beast and mild by comparison with these two German godzillas.

So for those free thinkers among you, who aren't influenced by the hoards of suv lovers blocking the dealers' showroom doors, these are great choices for you and your family. Way at the back of the showroom, almost hidden by the signs touting the latest suv, is your smart thinking alternative. Either bring a healthy bank account or a winning lottery ticket. Be the envy of almost no one, except yours truly.


And remember, we tee off at 3:30.

Until next time.........


No comments:

Post a Comment