About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Sept 10: What the heck is this?

 "What the heck is this?", exclaimed my friend and neighbour FJ.


A short time ago this unique, at least to us, creation started appearing at the real estate office across the street from our condo. Great condition and about the size of a golf cart or a Great Dane, (pick your comparison). Tiny, but looking surprisingly spacious inside for normal folks. Hey, for me, at 6'5', very few vehicles look spacious inside. Since I've been able to read from a young age, I saw that it was a Suzuki Wagon R. Ok, so what is it?



Being your Car Guy extraordinaire (sometimes ego is good), I knew before I saw the name, that this miniscule minivan was a product of Japan. Over the years, I've seen pictures of these strange little vehicles from an assortment of manufacturers. They are called kei cars, which is a shortening of the Japanese word for light automobile. Vans, hatchbacks, sportscars. You name it and you'll find a kei version of it in Japan.

Like these ones over the years from Honda........

Usually with cute or just plain strange names, such as nBox, Dayz, eK X and Pixis. They are also cute like puppies, assuming that there are a few strange looking puppies out there, which of course, there are. How cute/strange you might ask?


Picture one of these sitting beside an suv in traffic, shivering in fear of being run over. Of course, with anything, there are numerous variations, some work, some need work.......

 
 

And of course, what blog on kei vehicles would be complete without the inevitable.......


Popular in Japan to the point of making up about 1/3rd of the vehicles sold. Makes sense when you live on a very crowded island. I believe in the big cities, that you have to prove you have a parking space before being able to buy a vehicle. With a kei car, you could probably take it with you, kinda like a large suitcase.......


Want one to cherish for yourself? Any foreign car now twenty five years old is fair game for importing. Be the only one on your block.

So, back to that cute as a button Suzuki across from my home. It vanished recently and then came back painted black with a big, but oh so tasteful, company logo on it. Everyone going by notices it, so have it at a few local events and everyone will know your name. Cheap advertising with a very useful little conveyance. No downside here.

And don't ever let anyone accuse you of being small minded.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment