About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sept 27: Racy Racing

Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney circa 1972

For some reason hot cars and hot babes have always gone together. Even today you can find magazines with semi nude "hot" ladies posing next to "hot" rods. For some reason I would have thought that this would now be passe'. Check out the promo pic above of Shirley Muldowney done about 40 years ago. The "Cha Cha" was a promo tag that I believe she hated, since she wanted to be taken seriously and be a serious racer. If she wasn't serious, she wouldn't be driving cars like this one........


Interesting that this pic was taken at New England Dragway in Epping, New Hampshire -  a famous track that we'd go to once a year, driving the 6 hours down from New Brunswick. They put on some terrific shows. Shirley went on to be a great driver and won 3 national championships in Top Fuel  -  also dropping the tag "Cha Cha" as soon as she could. Back then though, she needed a gimmick to get attention and that was the times.

Now let's take a look at a current racer's pic from a magazine cover........


I've seen all the adds featuring Danica Patrick and some of them are quite, how shall I say it, "alluring", but when I found this raunchy one on the net, it really surprised me. Danica is a successful driver and really hasn't needed these cheescake shots, but I guess this is called marketing  -  but what are they selling? By the way, this is what she'll be driving full time next year........ 


My point is that as the years have gone by, I'm surprised that certain things haven't changed, after all 40 years is a longtime. And I also think that Danica really doesn't need this kind of a shot.

Is this an example of the more things change, the more they stay the same?

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment