About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dec 13:Power Play, Part 2


My last blog dealt with the big motored 1969 Camaro ZL-L, well Ford had a similar Mustang called the Boss 429. Again a very rare model built for one reason only and that was to go extremely fast in a straight line for 1/4 mile, although actually the motor was designed for NASCAR racing. Confusing?

NASCAR wouldn't allow a manufacturer to use a new motor unless a minimum number were built and sold to the general public. To accomplish this, Ford put the 370 HP, 429 cubic inch engine in a Mustang for image reasons and called it the Boss 429. And in this car, it was only meant to go straight like this Boss 429 equipped Maverick driven by the rather famous "Fast Eddie" Schartman........


A rare car today, an original '69 or '70 Mustang Boss 429 can sell for upwards of $300,000. Why didn't we all buy one and put it in a garage? Back then who would have thought that 30 to 40 years later, these relatively cheap cars would be selling for 40-50 times their original prices? These are the numbers that used to be reserved for the classics from the 1920's and 1930's.

So how much for an accurate crystal ball?

Until next time.......


No comments:

Post a Comment