About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Nov 7: Design or ?

 Two cute. Too cute. Two little cats who look almost alike, but there are subtle differences. Unusual? Not really, as they both came from the same litter. But cars are a little different, since, unless they come from the same company, they should look different. Sure, there are similar design elements that, might show up from time to time, like the Hofmeister Kink, which I wrote about in another blog. But why, with the creativity of the top designers, should two cars look alike these days? Good question, but it happens way too often. Case in point........


......and this one.......


Same car? Not at all. Same company? Not a chance. Direct competitor? Absolutely. Same design? See for yourself. Now, let's add this one to the mix........


..........and just for kicks, let's add one more.......


Four cars, all from different companies and depending on the particular trim level, they might actually all compete against one another. I don't understand. The kittens can't help it, but why would a designer, who gets paid big bucks take one car and almost duplicate it, except for the front end? I just don't understand it. If it were me, my pride would prevent this from happening.

Now take these three direct competitors from Cadillac, Mercedes and BMW..........


Not one of them looks like the other. Do they resemble other cars? Sure, but other cars from the same company and they were meant to have a family resemblance. My point being (if you haven't already figured it out), is that those other cars don't have to look so much alike. For Pete's sake, they are not kittens.

I purposely haven't identified the top four pics. Even I can't tell them apart from this angle. If I were the head of these companies, I'd fire the guy who penned these designs or the folks who approved them. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but surely this doesn't apply to direct competitors? Oh, on the other hand, maybe it does. Maybe I'm missing the point? What do you think?

Until next time.......




No comments:

Post a Comment