About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, January 6, 2017

Jan 6: A model Christmas


What would you do over the Christmas holidays, if you had lots of time off, an industrious little cat and a great hobby? Exactly what I thought and that's exactly what I did, along with all the other things that go with the holidays.

Myself and the CMC (Car Modeling Cat) had several models lined up to build, so it was a joint decision that we'd build two versions of one of my favorites, the USA only, 1965 Plymouth Belvedere. I told the story behind this car in an earlier blog (Sept 6/16), so I won't repeat myself (that's a first, Barry). We wanted to build an everyday low end driver, which this model depicted........


Just a plain Jane car that a salesman might have, with the only option being whitewall tires, so it wouldn't look like a complete povertymobile and make the neighbours think that he had bought the lowest of the low, which, of course, he had.........



.......oh, and one more addition, a radio to help pass the time between those business calls. One other person found favor with this car, but they equipped it a little differently........


The whitewalls were skipped, a set of great looking mag wheels were added, but its real appeal was in the fact that this Belvedere 1 was light and inexpensive, the perfect setting for a monster motor and Plymouth obliged with a 426 cubic inch engine (no, not the Hemi), that found its home on the nation's dragstrips. You've no doubt noticed, that we've made two models for the price of one.

There was also one more place that this particular Plymouth found a home. Think inexpensive, think a big motor and of course, think of this version......




Of course, it was a natural and one of the last of the two door police cars. Unlikely this sheriff's car packed a 426, but the subtle dual exhausts probably indicated a still very fast 383 four barrel. Just the thing to chase down those smart ass kids in their GTO's and Mustangs. If we had used city police car decals, then it would most likely be packing a slant six.

Every model tells a story  -  imagination is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Check out what else is attracting the attention of the CMC in the first pic and that should tell you about some upcoming blogs. Next week, the Detroit auto show opens, so stay tuned.

Until next time........



No comments:

Post a Comment