About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

May 15: Let's agree to disagree

What am I missing?


Whatever I'm missing this car is not missing anything. Look at it, nothing has been left off. New meaning to "over the top"? Ok, so let's cut to the chase, this is a lowrider and I just don't get them. Works of art or ? Whatever you think of them, lowriders are hot. Since their counter culture intro in the early 1950's, they have been a favorite of Hispanic car enthusiasts.


Low and slow, with "interesting" paint jobs. In 1959, hydraulics were added to make these rolling artworks something more. Too low to be driven normally, the hydraulics raised them for cruising the less than mirror smooth streets of southern California. Like what Citroen started doing in the '50's. Then creativity took over. If hydraulics could raise them for cruzen, then what other tricks could they be made to do? You had to ask?



If the sky is the limit, then these thing can be made to reach for the sky, all the while doing everything but dancing in the street and almost doing that. The point being? My point exactly, as I said I just don't get it.

As the lowrider culture has become more mainstream, they even have their own magazine.........


No longer just an Hispanic thing. And as you can see, there is no colour that doesn't go with another. Gotta appreciate the artwork and congratulate the artist, though this is sure not my style. More, more, more and even more seems to be the lowrider credo.

Although any car can be a lowrider, the majority are Chevies, followed by Cadillacs. The most famous lowrder has even been shown on Capitol Hill in Washington..........


.......... and is currently on display at a museum in LA. Each has a name, this notorious Chev is the Gypsy Rose.........




Need I say more?

Mostly Chevrolets, but the odd outlier, like this Ford, sneaks on to the scene (some folks are just contrarians).........


Lowriders. What can I say?


Have to appreciate them for all the work that goes into them. But next time someone says something is over the top, ask them if they've ever seen a lowrider.

Until next time........

No comments:

Post a Comment