About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

May 22: Royal wedding cars


Another royal wedding come and gone. Great ceremony for those of you who love the pomp and circumstance. Don't get me wrong, I'm a royalist, just never had much time for wedding ceremonies (except my own, of course). But, what I really have time for is watching the royals arrive and depart and in what cars. Ok, I get that the royal couple has to leave in a fairy tale coach pulled by those beautiful horses. Maybe Justify would like a crack at this position once his racing career is over? But check out the cars before the wedding.......


Meghan's royal ride was this beautiful old Rolls-Royce, which goes to prove that class is timeless. Check out those huge free standing headlights. Something from the 1930's? Nope. This Roller is probably early '50's, since Rolls didn't abandon this style until about 1955. Royal maroon and black. What a beauty.

Next up and moving into the sixties or seventies (who can tell), there was a parade of three Daimler limos bringing some of the other royals......


Again, a classy ride no matter the age. These cars still show up over here at weddings, but always painted white.

And what would Prince Charles show up in? The Queen's hand me down early 60's high top Rolls........


Not really a hand me down, as the royal mews (garages) has a fleet of carriages and cars from which to make their selection. When we visited last September, we saw all the gorgeous and opulent old carriages, along with a few of these royal cars.

And now the the head honcho and her famous carriage, this fairly recent "only a Bentley", which goes to show that when you are the queen, you have nothing to prove........


All very interesting, but what car got everyone's attention? Or, at least the attention of those among you who stayed glued to the TV for the coverage long after the wedding was consigned to history. What could it be?


The answer is........this stunning 1968 Jaguar XKE, but not quite an XKE. This is the Concept E, which means it is electric. Jaguar made this one concept from the bones of a lovely old Jag. Still owned by its creators, the price tag is 350,000 pounds, but it was graciously loaned to the royal family for the day. Why not, as its presence here gave the company far more publicity, than they would ever receive from any number of car shows. And being environmentalists, this car fit the royal couple perfectly.

A royal wedding featuring the royalty of cars. Too rainy for golf, so a good alternative.

Until next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment