About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Oct 21: A Matter of Taste


"Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz? My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends." So go the lyrics to Janis Joplin's famous song, but as you can see from the pic above, Janis also drove a Porsche. Now this is where the "matter of taste" comes in..........or a lack of it. Check out that late '60's psychedelic paint job. Nice car but ruined with that wild paint  -  these days that would be a relatively inexpensive body wrap, that could be removed when one grew up.

Rock stars aren't like you or me, they have the money to do anything they want to any great car. Remember this Rolls-Royce that John Lennon owned in the mid '60's?
Typical of him to do this to a mainstay of the British royalty and the establishment  - a visual tweak of their noses. Both of these cars are still around for us to enjoy(?).

I haven't seen any questionable paint jobs on cars owned by today's stars, usually the mods are limited to huge, fancy wheels and the standard heavily tinted windows (heck I have those on my own car). Sometimes, though you can come across the same bad taste exhibited many years ago. Case in point.........


Now how about a nice gold plated Escalade with a few minor mods and huge wheels? Not much good to say about this modern day pimpmobile owned by El Hadji Diouf, a Senegalese football player, but it's all a matter of taste, right? Or lack of it in this case.

So on it goes........folks make money and use it to create cars in their image. Good taste is flushed down the toilet of new money. It's a matter of taste.

Until next time........

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever watched MTVs "Pimp My Ride?"

    Equally useless mods. Just lower budget and you regret it after about a week of driving it around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lennon rolls you have posted above is an excellent replica painted by www.bigwhitefrog.com

    Step by step: http://www.bigwhitefrogmurals.co.uk/customlennonrolls.html

    ReplyDelete