About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Feb 21: Little Red Wagon - Finally done

Well, after several months of inactivity on a model with poor instructions, the Car Modelling Cat and I finally finished the "Little Red Wagon" drag truck. What in the world is that you ask? Look below for the easiest explanation (a pic is worth 1000 words)........



The one on the left is a photo from the mid '60's showing this wheelstander in action, while the one on the right is the model we just completed. The idea of a wheelstander is to have a huge motor positioned in such a way that the front end will rise on rapid acceleration and stay up for the length of the 1/4 mile dragstrip. Usually there are two metal pieces that connect with the track to create quite a spark show, especially at night. The point? Personally, I never figured it out and feel that it is a waste of a big engine.

Why did I make this kit then? Nostalgia mainly, as it takes me back to the drag racing of the '60's and '70's. I have collected/made a few of these old drag cars, like this one.........


"Colour Me Gone" was a 1964 super stock Dodge racing out of Detroit. This is a 1/24th plastic model, painted and decaled to look like the original.

Anyway, I'm glad to be done with the truck model, liked the way it turned out, but it put me and the CMC in a model making rut. Speaking of the Car Modeling Cat, she and I are now working on a '65 Mercury Park Lane two door hardtop. You can see below that she is right into it.......


Racing again at Daytona this past weekend with the Budweiser Shootout. Great finish. Not a Kyle Busch fan in the least, but give him credit, what a hell of a driver. Out of control twice at over 180 mph and he saved it. Absolutely friggin' amazing! Daytona 500 this weekend  -  should be interesting.

Until next time........

2 comments:

  1. Both racers look awesome. I guess front-wheel-drive cars took some of the fun out of the wheelstanding. Are there many pro front-wheel-drive drag racers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not sure
    whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble.
    You're amazing! Thanks!
    Also see my page > accessori barche

    ReplyDelete