About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27: Mercedes-Benz Then and Now


What is it? One of the most famous cars to ever come out of Germany and one of the most sought after 50+ years after its introduction. All you car people know that this is the mid to late '50's Mercedes-Benz 300 SL gullwing coupe. Always thought to be a gorgeous design and unique with its gullwing doors  -  easy to see where their name came from. Nowadays these cars in top condition can fetch over a million dollars. Even in rough condition, I can't afford to be behind the wheel.


Canadians might know the roadster version as the Trudeau car, since our late, former prime minister had one and was often seen it driving around Ottawa. It was kept in the family and his son, Justin, used it on his wedding day. The droptops don't have the same iconic status as the gullwing, but give me one and I'd probably take it.

Flash forward to 2012 and look what Mercedes now sells.......


Compare this new SLS gullwing to the original. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? I always loved the original, but living in Saint John, New Brunswick, I only saw one once, driven by a tourist. Rare car. Even the new one is not plentiful and I remember where and when I saw my first one (attention name drop alert). It was at the end of April, 2010 and it was in Tuscany, Italy. They had just been introduced and a silver SLS passed us on one of Tuscany's winding roads. Great car to go touring in.


This new roadstero version also harkens back to the original and in my opinion is even better looking than the coupe (beauty in the eye, etc). What's wrong with paying homage to your past classics, if you can do it in a classy way that reminds one of the original, but that doesn't copy it line for line?

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment