About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, March 22, 2013

March 22: 2014 Jaguar XKE???



The iconic 1961 Jaguar XKE - coupe or cabrio - even today is universally recognized as one of the most beautiful car designs ever. I believe one was (or is) in the New York Museum of Modern Art (and not just for storage). Sex on wheels at a time when cars were just getting over their "way over done" period.


Jag has tried many times over the years to replicate this beauty and have put out some gorgeous cars, but they never quite managed to capture "the look". Even those '60's bumpers couldn't take away from that lovely body. How come James Bond didn't drive one?

Over 50 years later, someone has designed a modern homage to the XKE, but it's not Jaguar. An English company is going to build the Lyonheart. Neat play on words, since Sir William Lyon started the Jag brand and lionheart describes an old British king. How well did they do............


Not bad, right down to those beautiful headlight covers. They were used for a time on the original car, until the US authorities banned them, probably because they didn't look like a traditional Chevy headlight (thank goodness).


Notice those wire wheels? When was the last time you saw them on any hot new sportscar? I sure can't remember any, but they certainly give the Lyonheart a certain retro feel. But they look so appropriate, I wonder if any other companies will attempt to bring them back?

Some details.........a production run of 250, between December 2013 and December 2015 for a mere 360-375k pounds (you do the conversion). None expected on this side of the Atlantic  -  1/2 in Europe, the rest in the Middle East and China (of course). Power? A Cosworth built 5.0L V8 putting out 575 HP and 700 ft-lbs of torque (now that is a number!). And of course, who isn't concerned about economizing on gas - Ferrari Hybrid anyone? So check out these stats.......18.4l/100 city and 8.2l/100 highway. For you oldsters, that's 15 and 35 mpg respectively. Does that mean that as long as you stay at top speed, you'll get pretty good mileage? Oh, don't be silly!


Hell of a tribute. Wonder when they'll do one that you and I can afford?

Until next time.........


No comments:

Post a Comment