About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Aug 12: Presenting the NKCP


Why is it that someone sees this innocuous looking 1979 Mercury Cougar and envisions something else entirely? While most of us see a late '70's coupe, adorned with all the styling cliches of its time, someone else sees the basis for an over the top "classic", that can be sold to an over the top entertainer. Or how about this little Opel GT........


Both of these cars were included in a witches brew that produced a new ride for Liberace, that showman extraordinaire.......


Liberace was anything but subtle in (apparently) everything he did. A few months back, I showed a custom Rolls, that belonged to the pianist and like him, it stood out, for maybe the wrong reasons. But then again, maybe not. So let's go back to the '79 Cougar, that dear little Opel GT and now let's add Ernst Kanzler to the mix, the result.....


Presenting the NKCP..........the Newport Kanzler Coupe Phantom. I actually didn't think that the Cougar was so bad (for its time) and the Opel had certain charm, but I wonder how Kanzler thought that his creation was an improvement? More photos, please........



The Kanzler Coupe was designed and built in a time that was rampant with what were called neo classics. But seriously folks, take a look at this car and tell me that it is an improvement over the Opel GT. Hey, don't get me wrong, I sure think that the Opel could have been improved, but why the heck not do it with a good design. Kanzler traded one set of cliches for another, but to me, there is nothing on this car that works in harmony.

Two of these dream (nightmare?) machines were built and not surprisingly one found its way into the garage of that flamboyant pianist Liberace. Since only two were ever built (you find that surprising?), this would have been a very rare ride and the odds are astronomical that you'd ever park beside another one. Back in 2006, Liberace's silver one found its way on to eBay and generated a top bid of about $23,500. No record of whether it actually was sold (sanity prevailed). Time for Barrett-Jackson to step into the mix?

So now you all know about the NKCP........another public service of the "Wheel to Wheel" blog.

Until next time.......



No comments:

Post a Comment