About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Aug 29: Who'd of thought?


Who'd of thought? Who ever would have thought, when BMW brought out their X6 a few years back that it would sell? I remember seeing it at the Detroit show and chatting with a BMW salesperson about it. They felt it was designed to answer a question that no one asked (there are a few other cars like that). I guess in a way, that is exactly what makes a niche product a success. My feeling was if a person wanted a sport ute, then they would buy the excellent X5. Want a sedan? Then buy the equally excellent 5 series with xDrive. But when BMW mangled the two together, I couldn't figure whose need it filled. Years pass and opinions change (or mellow?), but whenever I see an X6, I still shudder.

But apparently there were and are enough buyers out there, that BMW can add to this strange amalgamation with their upcoming X4.......


BMW is becoming expert at filling every possible niche in their line up, even creating those niches to fill. Stll not a handsome design, but it improves upon the X6, like the 3 series GT has improved upon the 5 series GT (but only just). A comparison of the X models, please.........


The X4 on top, just might be a little less lumpy. But then again why this car, since the very excellent 3 series can be had in a wagon version, that is every bit as practical and looks so much better.........


.......and of course, having a matching sweater certainly adds to the appeal of your chic set of wheels.

Who would have thought that the X6 would be a success? But even more of a mystery is, who would have thought that it would generate a copycat model from their toughest competitor? Sure surprised the heck out of me, when Mercedes-Benz announced this upcoming model, the GLC Coupe(?).......


Now, I typically favor Benz designs, although I must admit that BMW's 6 series looks great, whether it has two or four doors (an anomaly?). When I heard that Mercedes was doing their own version, I had hopes for a much better design, but as you can see, whether this is actually better looking is debatable........


Personally, I'll need to see it in person, but from these pics, the only thing that is good about it, is that wonderful back drop in the bottom pic. Who wouldn't want to be driving along beside the Rhine or the Danube, with those mountains in the background? Suggestion? Close your eyes as you are walking up to your ride, get inside and now open them to the panorama thru the windscreen (you're welcome).

Who'd of thought?

Until next time.......



No comments:

Post a Comment