About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My passion is also my business, as I am with the Toronto based Hav-A-Kar Auto Group. I sell or lease any make of car, van or truck available in Canada. My interest in all things "car" has helped me with my many clients in Ontario over the past 25+ years. Please give me the opportunity to assist you.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Aug 5: Lagonda - you're kidding, right?

Lagonda. A classic name that has its origins back in the early 1900's (actually 1906). Big, powerful cars that only the wealthy could afford. You know those folks, the Downton Abbey crowd........


In 1947 Lagonda was acquired by the relative new comer, Aston Martin, the British builder of high end sports cars. To most of us, the name Aston Martin is synonymous with the movie James Bond and his ride of choice (sure, all secret agents drive high profile, very visible cars). Eventually the Lagonda name was dropped, but Aston would occasionally use it on a high end sporting sedan, like this Rapide from the early '60's.......


Exclusive due to its low production numbers and high price  -  always a good combination. Probably the most famous Lagonda was this very unusual for it's time model, brought out in 1976.......


I liked this car, but the design was very controversial and the car itself, very problematic. Not a great combo for a high end luxury car, but not the first and it won't be the last to have these issues. After this, the Lagonda name was quietly put aside until rumours of its resurrection started in the last year or so........


Disguised cars hit the roads, but enough of the design could be seen, to ensure that again Lagonda would be a classy looking ride. Now last week, Aston Martin showed us the real deal........


.......and positioned it next to an older model, so that by comparison it would look great. But, hey, it looks great without the comparison. A super saloon built and priced to compete with Rolls, Bentley and the higher end Mercedes. Ok, so here is the deal. Apparently this car will be sold by invitation only and only to those folks from the middle east (dam, there's that oil money again). So Aston, you've got to be kidding, right? You mean that I'm your average Russian, American or European billionaire and I can't get one? Do I have to have the Sultan of Brunei buy a couple and deal me one under the table? Hardly seems fair, but I guess by selling it this way, they don't have the chance that it will languish on dealers' lots ("You want a Lagonda? What colour, as we have a few dozen sitting out back.").

So you've got the money, but don't live in Dubai? Better start writing letters to Aston Martin and make sure you include plenty of begging. Good luck!

Until next time.......




No comments:

Post a Comment